Rug and Carpet Certified Valuation
Carpet & Rug Valuations – Rug Appraisal
FROM EXPERTS ON RUGS
Ronas Gallery specializes in antique Persian carpets and tapestries and has over 40 years experience in collecting rare and valuable pieces from around the world. Being
Our Specialists are members of BADA and LAPADA, We also advise that a valuation for insurance purposes is worth having done as the costs for restoration of antique Oriental rugs is becoming increasingly expensive. We prefer to visit you and see the rug personally in order to provide a comprehensive valuation. Please contact us to make an appointment.
Having an Antique Rug Appraised
To have your antique rug appraised contact us, then send photos of your rug, and let us know the purpose of your appraisal:
- Are you looking to sell it, and want to know how much a dealer would pay for it? If the dealer is making an offer, it's not really an appraisal but rather an offer to purchase at the price set by the dealer.
- Are you interested in an auction house reserve price estimate? This is the least you would be willing to sell it for at auction - a safety net to protect your interests, so to speak.
- Do you want an assessment of what a fair market retail value would be? In other words, how much would a dealer expect to get for it if sold to a retail client?
- Are you wondering what a fair trade in value would be? In this case, you're likely looking to upgrade your rug to a better one or change the look of your room.
- Do you want to ensure it, and require a fair market retail value appraisal? These appraisals will always be full written appraisals as required by insurance companies.
After you define the purpose, the appraiser will help you determine the type needed:
- Full written appraisal - These appraisals will usually a full written appraisal is signed and delivered it is considered to be an official document that may be used in court. It also takes considerable time to research comparable values and prepare the documentation. In addition, should a legal situation arise relating to the value of the rug, the person who issued the appraisal might get called into court to testify? In addition to helping you find out what your rug might be worth should you decide to sell it or require a replacement due to fire or theft, having an appraisal helps to authenticate it and ultimately adds value to the carpet.
- Verbal estimation of value - These less formal estimates will usually do some research on sales of comparable pieces to help them determine values, but no written documentation is provided with a verbal estimation of value. Note: It is generally accepted practice in the antique marketplace that a dealer providing an appraisal should not also make an offer on an antique being appraised.